The Law Offices of Christine G. DeBernardis

Let Christine Handle Your Case With Confidence

Where Experience, Integrity and Compassion Matter

Child With Disabilities and no Support

I have a child with disabilities.  He turns 18 this month and his daddy won’t have to pay child support for him anymore.  But he can’t work and he can’t take care of himself.  What can I do?  I can’t take care of him all by myself.


In Massachusetts, the Child Support Guidelines can be extended beyond the age of 18 for a child that has a disability.  It is in the discretion of the Court to award the support.  In order to request this, you will need to provide documentation to the court regarding the disability and to articulate why support is necessary beyond the age of 18.  This is typically a difficult legal argument to make and should be done by an attorney. I’d strongly recommend that you have representation for this issue.

Contact me for assistance and we will discuss your specific situation.

Verified by MonsterInsights