The Law Offices of Christine G. DeBernardis

Let Christine Handle Your Case With Confidence

Where Experience, Integrity and Compassion Matter

My ex won’t pay child support. Can I refuse to let him see the kids?

My  ex won’t pay child support. Can I refuse to let him see our daughter?

Absolutely not! If you do it, you are in contempt. Child support and parenting time are two separate issues. If there is an order for support and an order for parenting time, each of the parties is required to honor each order. If your ex isn’t current with child support payments, that is a contempt of court. That said if you deny parenting time, you are also in contempt. You are not permitted to “self-help” by denying him time with your daughter until he pays. The Court will not look kindly if you take that measure to promote payment. Instead, file a Complaint for Contempt for his failure to pay.

Here are some additional articles we have written on these subjects.  Child support, parenting time and visitation information.

Please be sure to contact us for more information if your ex won’t pay child support. We can help you.

Verified by MonsterInsights