The Law Offices of Christine G. DeBernardis

Let Christine Handle Your Case With Confidence

Where Experience, Integrity and Compassion Matter

Massachusetts: The Annie Dookhan Drug Lab Scandal

Update: if you have not watched Netflix’s “How to Fix a Drug Scandal”, we recommend you do so. It discusses this case and the Sonja Farak case.  If you feel you have been impacted by either of these, please contact us.

By now I am sure that a lot of you have heard of this case. A Massachusetts drug lab chemist, Annie Dookhan,  was found to have falsified drug certificates by neglecting to test samples that she claimed to have tested, signing initials of other chemists and switching samples of drugs amongst different cases. This has effected over 60,000 samples and over 34,000 defendants. This is known as the Annie Dookhan Drug Lab Scandal.

The question for a defendant is “what do I do if I think that my case involved a drug certificate issued by Annie Dookhan?” or “what do I do if I don’t know whether my case involved Annie Dookhan?” Even if your case is “over” (ie your probation is now terminated or your jail sentence completed), you may still have a legal remedy as a result of the Dookhan scandal.

The first step is to contact your attorney. If you tendered a plea to the court, or the matter went to trial, your counsel should have a copy of the certificate in your file. You are free to request a copy of the certificate itself or to simply speak to your attorney about the issue. In some cases, you may find that your attorney will contact you about the issue.

If you find that your case did involve Annie Dookhan, speak to an attorney about what steps to take in your case. Though there is a general protocol already in effect for these issues, each case is different. You should make sure that you know your rights and remedies and make an informed decision based on the guidance of legal counsel. You may contact our office for more information at Contact Christine.

Verified by MonsterInsights