The Law Offices of Christine G. DeBernardis

Let Christine Handle Your Case With Confidence

Where Experience, Integrity and Compassion Matter

Do I Have to Pay for Child’s College?

Q: I have a 18 year old daughter I was never married to her mother there has never been a court issued for me to pay any kind of support I have not been in this child life at anytime do to her mother not wanting me to but now that she is 18 can the mother turn me in to pay for the daughters collage

Hi, and thank you for your question.

If paternity is established (ie signature on birth certificate or some other form of proven paternity) and the child meets the requirements for full time attendance in college or secondary school, then her mother can certainly seek child support. Payment for college is less likely, though it depends on the facts and circumstances and the financial resources of the parties.

I hope that this helps. If you have further questions, or are served with a complaint for support, please feel free to contact me.

Thank you,
Christine G. DeBernardis, Esq.

Verified by MonsterInsights